Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"My President Is Black...." --Young Jeezy

For the first time in my life, I feel proud to be an American. I realize the enormity of that statement, but it's how I feel.

My boyfriend can look at his sons today and tell them both that they can be President if they work hard and really want it. How amazing is that!?!

But I don't want to dwell too long on Barack Obama's skin color and the historical aspect because there are two other things to discuss: he is qualified, and we need change. I was dumbfounded when this country voted Bush back into office 4 years ago, and am thankful those of us who saw the idiocracy of that went to the poills yesterday and fixed it.

The bulk of the vote for Barack came from the Hip Hop generation. 18 to 34 year olds turned out in record numbers to vote this man into office. Minorities turned out in record numbers to vote this man into office. Not because he is Black, but because the country is fucked up.

The highlight of my night last night in watching the election coverage were the phone calls and emails that came to me from the Federal Correction Institutions. Even the forgotten, with no votes, were celebrating this man's ascention to power.

Yep, a change is coming. Now the real work begins....