Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I grew up in a white middle class neighborhood. OK, that's not so surprising, I am white. But in growing up in that middle class neighborhood like I did, I never got to see the rule book that said stuff like:
*take what you want from anyone who can't fight back;
*education is for pussies;
*if someone scuffs your shoe beat them senseless;
*any and all "perceived" violations must be punishable by death;
*a stank look is grounds for a stomping;
*prey on others who are just as bad off as you;
*white is right;
*you have no value or future so fuck it;
*unity is just a word with no meaning;
*going to jail is a right of passage (we actually celebrated folks coming home from college, not coming home from the joint);
*you will be lucky if you live past 25;
*1 out of 4 of people will go to jail and 2 out of 4 will be somewhere in the justice system--on the receiving end, and that's somehow not worth resisting;
*being an entertainer or sports figure is the way out;
*moving weight is a viable source of income;
*fuck education; etc.

I don't believe this is a color problem (although African-Americans are severely disenfranchised in this wicked country). I believe this is an economic problem. So when folks do improve their economic situations and move along in life, going backwards is not an option (who wants to see a millionaire hoodrat). It's tantamount to waving a T-Bone steak in front of a starving person... Having said that, until we solve these problems in the world, ugly shit like this will continue to happen and the more have-nots we create (I don't mean in a "give birth" way) the worse the situation will get. I can't think of a more dangerous time to be on the streets, and THAT'S fucked up.

I celebrate the fact the Puffy's children (or any child of a successful person of color) will be going to the best private schools money can buy, but it really has no value until every poor and disenfranchised child has the opportunity to get a solid education. If we wait for others to help, things will only get worse. My biggest fear is that Proof wasn't a wake up call, he was just a statistic--I cry over that as much as I cry over his loss.

This post is in response to a DJ Babe email--

Now Ya Know Normally I Blast Detroit Hip Hop…..

This time I just wanted to share my insights on what we have at hand. My manz Proof is gone, not here anymore. To actually think about is crazy, like this man ain’t never gonna be around again. Not physically. I’m not one to jump up and talk about we were buddies from middle school & our mamas know each other, no. But I did know the man and had the pleasure of doing business with him several times and actually could say that we were cool. Did I agree on everything he did? No. Were there things I thought he should change? Yes. But he lived his life how he wanted and that’s how we should remember him.

Those outside of Detroit may not have been a fan, or understood his importance to Detroit hip hop. Sure, D12 sold millions of records but individually they haven’t made the mark they need to. But to Detroit, to Detroit hip hop he was called “The Mayor”. I once made a comment in one of my newsletters about how this nigga would be at the grimiest spots, spots that I wouldn’t be caught in. Sadly, he was in one of those spots last night.

I used to blast Proof & others who have been able to get in positive positions because I’ve always felt that they are maximizing their blessings. The Detroit music scene seems to be in a rut and for those who can make a few things happen, I always wondered why steps were being taken. Sure, Proof did a lot – A LOT – for local artist, but I wanted to see more results taking place. He showed love by continuously being in the hood & places where the everyday man is. You know what – Fuck The Hood. Fuck keeping it real & I’m Always Gonna Represent. I’ll always say where I’m from, but when I’m worth a certain amount, due to jealously and envy I won’t be able to be where I once was. And honestly, I don’t wanna stay in the hood! I’d like to actually be able to stand outside on New Years Eve at midnight. I’d like to be able to have rims on my truck and park in the driveway at night. Fuck the hood!!

For those who have been blessed with an opportunity to eat off this music shit, whether in Detroit or beyond, realize what you have and enjoy it, use it, hell abuse it. My manz created a label and signed some of the city’s top open mic talent & gave jobs to a few of his friends. Now all of these guys have to ponder their future. The members of D12 have to create a new album without him & with Eminem not being Eminem of 1999/2001.. what will happen with them?

In the end, Proof was a father, husband, son, and friend to many. I only hope that my black people will take an extra second to realize what we have & maximize it. Niggaz won’t… Niggaz be on some dumb shit & ain’t gonna change for shit. Black people are the ones I’m talking to. Fuck niggaz.

Once again, if you’ve been blessed to have what you have & achieve the status you have… maximize it, abuse it, don’t let an ounce of it go unused.

R.I.P. Big Proof

R.I.P. J-Dilla

DJ BABE

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some personal experience about Proof. Amazing how it's true that Death will make you more famous than your efforts in life sometimes.

I'm listening to Detroit mourn him and it comes to mind that we never know what we mean to another until we're gone and can't receive the love.
The hood ain't gonna change. I've tried to go back, to give back, to share... etc. All I get is trouble for the money. Fact is they treat you worse and there are those who live to prey upon the successful who dare to return to the hood.

We need a NEW community. Success should bring you to elevation.

The new school seems to die or burn out in some fashion prior or just as their music is being discovered.

Jails are for criminals. Choose are you an artist or a crook? Be one or the other and stick to it but don't pollute both.

A man down brings a man down.
God Bless his family.

4/12/06, 6:35 AM  
Blogger Ricky Ross said...

I wish I had said this...it is EXACTLY on point!!!

4/12/06, 12:16 PM  
Blogger TCakez said...

This brotha's death is a tragedy that's at an all time high in hoods all over America I'm in one such hood and its just sickening on these streets the value of a life is @ an all time low...

It's like slow-movin' genocide...what's it gonna take for somebody to care???????

4/18/06, 4:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i agree with you. i come from MOnroe Projects in the Bronx and when i go back, i could get stuck up by some young punk who used to ask me for now and laters when he was 5 , WTF! Eff the hood, we aren't supposed to stay there, we supposed to either get out or fix it....

i am not saying i forget where i am from. anyone will tell you i will help ANYONE (except with money...) any way i can, i just feel that we place too much emphasis on being able to roll through the hood untouched.

5/23/06, 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home