Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ah Hell! Kill me now. Quickly...

My favorite artist from the 1980s signed to Koch. Ugh! Back in the early 80s was a very important group (the genre of music was called Alternative back then) called the Psychedelic Furs. Anyone who saw the teen cult film Pretty In Pink would recognize the title song's distinctive sound as none other than Richard Butler from the Psych Furs. This group could shit in a bag and I would buy it. I supported them through every release the group put out, even the two when they became Love Spit Love (and you thought I was just a rap girl..didn't you... didn't you...admit it...).

In 1981, I went to see the Psychedelic Furs perform at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphis. The opening band was GrandMaster Flash and The Furious Five, which was my introduction to rap. And if you are reading my words on a blog, you obviously know what that has meant to rap and the artists. Thank you, Richard.

I supported all of the tours, bought the T-shirts, bought all of the music. On vinyl, then on cassette, then on CD, then on-line for my MP3 Player. I'd like to point out that I was forgiving when Butler's sexy drone of a voice was the theme song to the trainwreck of a TV show called Charmed. I was happy he was eating.

I just bought his new CD on eBay. I couldn't even wait for it to be released on March 21. I had to have it NOW (and will buy a copy that benefits him financially when it is finally on store shelves--yes, even on Koch). So I bought a promo copy on eBay. I ripped open the packaging and stuffed the CD into my computer and snuggled into my comfy chair to read the packaging. What's this? The Koch logo. A fucking Koch logo???? My favorite artist went to the label known for killing more rap careers than drugs and violence combined? Say it ain't so...

Hmph. Well, I am thankful Richard Butler is still making money with his music. And I am thankful to be listening to his incredible voice and intriguing lyrics. And yes, he could shit in a bag and I would buy it.

Allen, you are a nice guy and all and my beef is not with you, it's with the business model of the company you work for. But if you fuck this project up, I will go to war with Koch. I promise!

Damn, Richard. I'd have shopped you a new deal for free.... might have even come out of my own pocket with marketing funds... damn. Shoot me now.

By the way, the album is quite good...

What I am reading currently: The Clustered World, By Michael J Weiss (it's about demographics and psychographics)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home