Friday, June 09, 2006

The music business is a bitch who doesn't love you back.

Man that's real. I wish I could remember who said that to me last week. At the time, I knew it was true, but didn't realize how genius is was until it rumbled around my brain a bit this week. The music business IS a bitch that doesn't love you back.

I'm just back from the Bay Area again. Checking out the Hyphy Movement. The labels are scared. They think it's just a fad. But how can such a huge and passionate reaction be just a fad? I don't think it can be. I do understand how someone without their ear to the street, sitting in a glass tower in Manhattan could misinterpret it though. Watching the BDS and SoundScan of E-40 isn't a testament of the Hyphy Movement, it's a reflection of Warner Bros working a record. That's just MY opinion though.

I gotta tell ya...it was cool to see a Hyphy Show (Thizz Nation, Keak Da Sneak, Mistah F.A.B., Mac Mall, etc), but it was even cooler to meet Mista FAB's team. Sometimes, as I travel around the country, I meet the teams behind artists and am not impressed (including NY where the industry is based) because it's usually the artist's brother, or cousin, or neighbor's siter's brother's dog's uncle representing them. Then I met Stretch and Gary. I can't ever recall being so impressed with the level of industry knowledge, sheer drive and ability, and business acumen of any artist's representative before. They had me all fucked up. OK, I know I just offended every team everywhere around the US, but you gotta meet these guys in the Bay to understand what I'm saying. Not only do they know what they are doing, but they even know the inside industry gossip that like 10 people in the inner circle of the NY Urban Music industry know. Very, very impressive.

Needless to say, they can ask me for anything, and it's theirs. Move the moon a little to the left? Done! Just say the word. I think we ALL need to aspire to be as sharp as these guys are. Myself included. I'm gonna have to step my game up a notch.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You

From your fam G. Archer and Stretch

Lets go get this money Wendy

6/11/06, 9:11 PM  
Blogger Ricky Ross said...

Truth is truth...

6/23/06, 2:10 PM  
Blogger Mr.Dubie said...

ITS GOOD TO HEAR THEIRS PEOPLE ON THE INDIE GRIND THAT KNOW THE BUSINESS.

9/5/06, 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home