Saturday, February 16, 2008




Day Three: Team BLOODRAW Promo Tour
Orlando, FL

After driving all night, we arrived at 10 AM at our hotel. I grabbed a quick 2 hour nap. Nasty ended up canceling lunch because he was too tired, so we went to the bank, ordered more postcards, and had lunch at Brian McKnight’s restaurant: Mama Nem’s.

We wanted to hit the Magic Mall Flea Market, but it’s closed on Mondays.

Instead, we went to order 5,000 Bigga Rankin mixed CDs and 5,000 DJ Smallz mixed CDs. A third of the budget has been spent already and we’re only at our third day… Street team queen, Mercedes, was kind enough to set up a meet and greet for us at Cleo’s, which is a strip club in Orlando. We did a photo shoot that came out spectacular (wassup Wuz Up!). This kid is a fucking genius. Raw did a shoot at 4 and we were looking at photos via our blackberries by 8:30. The shots are awesome. Raw decided this kid will shoot his album cover…

In hind sight, holding a meet and greet at a strip club wasn’t such a great idea for me and 6 guys on a budget. LOL. We met a lot of local press and some of the club DJs were kind enough to come see us. We also met some of the key mixed CD DJs. DJ Young City was so sweet. He kept shouting me out. I guess he thought I was like a fish out of water, but after 16 years of working with rappers, I’ve seen a strip bar or two…or 1,000. If I can survive Chocolate City in Detroit and Rolex in Miami, I can handle anything.

Raw did a radio interview with DJ Prostyle at Power 95. Work (Mike) was also helpful to us along with Mercedes who set all of this up with less than a week’s notice. We were scheduled to leave on promo tour for 25 days starting Saturday, and the money arrived from Def Jam on late Friday afternoon. It didn’t turn into cash at my bank until after midnight, and we were unable to withdraw money til Monday—yet we left Saturday afternoon for Florida.

The guys went to the club while I returned to the hotel to get some work done. They ended up going to the studio and recording all night. By 8 AM we were all piling into the van with our luggage to head to Tallahassee. I’m beginning to bond with the guys, especially Scrap and King. I’ve discovered King likes Blow Pops, and Scrap is funny as hell. They are two people I always hope to have on my team. They are worth their weight in gold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home