Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I spent time in Montgomery, AL this weekend.

I was there to meet with T Long (NY Yankee) who is starting his label, LongMoney Entertainment. I got to meet all of the artists on that label: Small Time Ballaz (Jungle Baby, Killa Katt, and Big Hulk), Willie Wheat, D'Shanty (Shann), Songbird, Lil Dutty… and the incredible producers and folks behind the scenes who are making shit happen over there. I met T through my good friend Michael London, who is one of the first people int he industry that I befriended. He's a cool muthaphukka...

T and Michael London were kind enough to set up a meet and greet so other artists in the city could meet me, Greg Gate$ (writer for MurderDog, Down, The Source, etc), and Wayne Watts (a successful entrepreneur). It was an outstanding couple of hours. I received over 200 demo CDs, but the best part was that I got to tell the artists that to get noticed by major labels and offered a respectable deal, they will need to sell their own CDs regionally. So they need to get their hustle on.

At the end of the night, I got to see a performance by many of the local artists at a local club with a very long history: The Rose. Although I never go to showcases (it sends the wrong message to the artists that performing leads to a record deal—labels don't care about shows), I did have a great time Sunday night.

I met Khao and one of the guys from Dirty. Khao was in town for the weekend to clean up some things for his father’s estate—his Pops had just passed away (condolences to Khao and his family). He’s from Atlanta, where I now live, so I’ll get to see more of him.

Daniel from Dirty was able to break down his experiences for me in the music business from being at Universal to Rap-A-Lot. He has a solo CD that’s out now. He is a very nice guy and I got to hear about his kids that he’s raising by himself as a single Dad. How amazing is that!!

T Long kept the Moet and Corona flowing all night in VIP, and the only bump in the road was when a fight broke out downstairs. It appeared to be some guy who chose that moment to beat the hell out of his woman right then and there. Men who beat on women are low, so he showed his ho card to everyone in the club that night. Security seemed to be busy outside guarding T’s Bentley, so the fight lasted a little longer than necessary.

The Rose has a rich heritage of performances by jazz and R&B greats and has been in existence forever! I was proud to be part of history in the making and hope I get to do big things with LongMoney in the near future! Michael London (DJ Shadow) is the superstar who is going to deliver that label to infamy. Get at your boy… he’s running shit over there now!! And he’s really doing his thing!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he really needs to not use that DJ Shadow name considering the other (and way different) DJ Shadow from CA. I actually think i heard that dude on the radio in Mobile, AL actually.

11/2/06, 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home