Thursday, September 07, 2006

I just moved to Atlanta and was soooo excited that the Billboard Hip Hop Conference would finally fit into my schedule for the first time since its inception. While I no longer read Billboard (it isn't very rap friendly, nor is the news regarding our industry as on point as I need an industry mag to be), I was excited by the event when I read the list of panelists and topics on their website.

Over the past few months, in speaking with folks in the industry and indie labels around the country, no one was planning on attending (except me). This had me a bit concerned because I had heard over the years from folks in the industry that it was an event worth skipping. Regardless, I am a conference junkie and will pretty much support anyone trying to share some industry knowledge.

I was over there this afternoon and gave out less than 25 business cards. It was a waste of time.

My take on the Billboard event is that they are able to secure great sponsorships by leveraging their name because companies outside of hip hop (and folks wanting to be in this business) support it-- but much like the magazine, they don't really attract our industry to impact a return for those sponsors. It was the worst attended event I have seen in my 14 years in this industry. I had always heard it was mediocre, but never really believed that to be the case because I saw the level of sponsors (and prices) they were able to secure.

The space was incredible, the sponsors top notch (hell, they had secured Bentley, Roland, Remix Magazine, Stanton, Pioneer, etc), and impressive panelists. I don't know if the panels were good because when I saw the level of attendance at the event during what should have been their key hours, I opted not to spend the $700 admittance. I did spend time in the common areas talking to folks who had spent their money to attend. I collected a few demos and talked to everyone offering insight into the urban music industry--I literally talked to everyone in attendance.

What they seemed to be lacking were key executives, tastemakers, and DJs to network with--oh, and attendees. Both the TJsDJs/Ozone event last month and the Core DJ Retreat a few weeks ago in ATL put this event to shame. I'm not sure why the event is passed over by the more serious folks in this business, but the good folks at Billboard certainly should analyze this and solve the problem. Their event would have been ideal for DJs to attend based on the rooms they had set up off the main ballroom with various equipment to play with.

All I could think as I walked around this empty event was that if I could just drop in all the attendees from the events I've been to in the past month, it would have been the best convention ever (even at $650 a head--more than double ANY other hip hop event). And everyone would have benefitted...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the Blog!

9/7/06, 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home