Wednesday, June 21, 2006

David Banner...David Banner... I'm in the middle of shopping a deal for The Core DJs and Tony Neal was kind enough to send over the new David Banner street anthem called "Get Money!!"

OK, so the song goes a lil somethin' like this:

"If Steve Rifkind stiffs a nigga, then I'm back on the block, I'll shove this pistol in your mouth and run my hands through your sock..." I had to listen to it a couple times to understand exactly what Banner is saying. At first I thought he was saying Rifkind didn't pay him, but I know that IF that was the case, he would have called me (probably even before his lawyer). Then I realized that he was saying that IF Rifkind were to NOT pay him, he'd have to resort back to the streets and rob and steal to feed himself. I took it like he was saying thank God for what he had so he wouldn't have to turn to the streets to survive. I chuckled over the fact that I misunderstood what he was saying...sometimes I feel like such a white girl...

Then, I wondered what Rifkind thinks Banner is saying. If I had to listen to it a few times to get it, and I know Banner well, what would his label head think? I started to send him an email (at 4 AM) and then realized I was being silly. Of course Rifkind didn't misunderstand the song...

Well, when I woke up yesterday, it was still eating at me, so I dashed off an email to Rifkind's blackberry saying, I know you didn't misunderstand the song, but just in case you did, I listened to it a few times and here's what he is actually saying....sorry for being silly, but I just wanted to make sure you heard it correctly, because it confused me at first.

No response.

Uh-oh. Rifkind always hits me back within minutes because I never bother him with dumb shit. Finally, I receive a response about 30 minutes later (that's long for Rifkind) that says he heard the song, listened to it ten times and Banner is absolutely dissing him.

Uh oh.

This man's feelings were really hurt. He's going through a rough time right now, so this must be magnified 100 times in his world. He thinks Banner has dissed him. This is the president of Banner's label. Banner's career is in the hands of this man. And he thinks Banner dissed him. Uh-oh...

So we're going back and forth about the song, and I'm trying to tell him to get the lyric sheet and listen to the song again, and to read the lyrics. Banner is NOT dissing... He says he heard Banner dissed him in Ozone and now this song and he's pissed and hurt.

Uh oh.

So what do you do when someone thinks they were dissed when they weren't? Isn't this how wars start?

What do you do when your label president thinks you dissed him in a song? What if he's convinced he was dissed? Now what!?

Uh oh.

8 Comments:

Blogger dfw all access said...

I heard it yesterday( got it from Tj's) and it sounded like a dis to me...maybe i'll listen to it again... I like the sparse beat...defjamming.

6/22/06, 9:32 AM  
Blogger SLurg said...

I don't get it. Steve can't called his own artists ?

6/22/06, 9:37 AM  
Blogger Ricky Ross said...

I reached out to Steve, he didn't initiate the call. Of course he could call his own artists... but why would he if he felt he was dissed in a song?????

6/23/06, 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to ask point blank, Ms. Day, are you for or against Banner's actions? State your position so that I may know how you stand on the issue. I don't really have an opinion myself, I just want to know how to read the words that you write on what will soon become a volatile issue.

6/25/06, 8:14 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/11/06, 12:02 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

I haven't heard the song. Reading the lyrics just once it's obvious that he's not being dissed. I don't understand how that's not clear to begin with. Secondly, if I was David Banner I'd be thinking about what type of representation I actually have if my representative catches feelings from a song and can't figure out he's not being dissed. That's just plain scary. How out of touch is my rep if this is an issue that needs to be discussed.

And if I'm David's rep I would call my artist and ask him what did he mean by the statement. Why wouldn't I if I had a feeling that perhaps he was in fact dissing me. This whole post bothers me. Really doesn't set right with me and further degrades my confidence in music people.

Also, you almost seem like you're dissing him by way of this post. He sounds like a sap. That's not cool.

7/11/06, 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...
http://mississippimudbugsandothermiscellany.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_mississippimudbugsandothermiscellany_archive.html

7/12/06, 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rappers need to STOP using people's names in their songs. it has led to SO MANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS. posdnous had that incident with treach. i'm sure there are several other examples. it just isn't worth it. aren't there a million other things to write about? and why is banner wondering "if" steve does something to him that steve more likely than not will never do? i've heard PLENTY of complaints about rifkind's marketing strategy, but never heard of anyone saying rif stole from them. it's just so SILLY of a thing to even make a hypothetical about.

sigh.

banner is too smart for this.

7/28/06, 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home