Friday, February 09, 2007

Idiots. This industry is full of them. I got a message on my voicemail today from an A&R guy who is not only shady, but who is also a dick. And this idiot actually thinks I’d return a call to him? Puh-lease…

I have known dude since the 90s when he first came into the industry. He has never been successful—-never "discovered" or signed any artist who went on to become truly successful. His claim to fame was working at a label where he got assigned to a multi-platinum artist. He’s never had a success before, and never had one since. That says it all.

He’s known for two things: 1) never returning phone calls (which makes the irony of him leaving me a message to return his call all the more classic), and 2) he’s done deals with artists and production companies where he’s allegedly a 50-50 owner and then signs them to the major label where he’s employed, taking half of the money and budget. In an industry where reputation is all you have, why would anyone do such dumb shit for something as replaceable as money?

There’s a good chance that if you are a liar and a thief, you aren’t going to ever get a return phone call from me. People like that have no value to me, or to the industry. This genius was assigned a second platinum street artist to work with a few years ago. Now, since the first platinum artist he lucked into working with in the late 90s handled all of his own music, there was nothing for Idiot Boy to do. When he was assigned the second artist, at a worse label, he didn’t take into consideration that he had no clue. He began putting the artist into the studio to make commercial radio records. Did I mention it was a street artist? When the artist came out with the new commercial sound, he lost his entire fan base, not even going Gold. Dude killed this artist’s career in one album, eventually getting him dropped from the label to end up at an even inferior label.

Back in the day, I used to be nervous to be this outspoken about someone in the industry that I don’t respect. But time and experience has taught me that usually the folks that I find ugly, others also find ugly. This is the case with dude. His name has come up a lot in my life recently. I guess he’s gone out on his own and has been jerking people left and right to increase his income. I have gotten so many calls complaining about him that it’s almost time to get VERY publicly outspoken about his business practices.

One thing is for sure: he is the majority in this business. As long as money exists, slugs like him will continue bilking people out of some. Just to make a dime. I won’t be returning their calls anytime soon, however.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOUNDS WAY TO FAMILUAR...GOD HELP US!

2/11/07, 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Wendy you know A&R realy means "Always Wrong" - LOL!

2/23/07, 2:01 PM  
Blogger A-Sun Tzu said...

...I think that guy cloned himself...lol!

Peace Wendy,

Will you please review my blog - www.xsmobile.blogspot.com?

I developed the technology highlighted on my blog to service the artist, and protect the artist from being forced to deal with dudes like the bloodsucker you mentioned in your blog. I met you a few years ago and was almost moved to tears when we discussed the Cash Money deal you did.

I really appreciate your presence in the game Wendy.

Peace
A-Sun
646.722.0240

3/19/07, 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy Day words are incredible. I am trying to contact you for an over the phone interview. My name is Miles Dixon, please contact ASAP! 313.334.0313 or 313.961.0961

3/24/07, 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know how the games goes...give me his number I need a deal....lmao

9/2/07, 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home