Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I rarely go out. Truth is, I don't enjoy it. I'd much rather be in front of my computer working!!! But last night, I decided to go out and support my friend Khao (producer) who was judging the final competition for artists at TI's club, Crucial. So off we went to Bankhead, me, Khao, and Ruben Studdard. Now, I have to tell you that I am not a fan of American Idol at all (I think it's a gimmick that's rips off artists' dreams) so I didn't know shit about Ruben except that he was a winner a few years back, and that he is friends with my friend Khao. They are both from AL.

What a cool muthaphukka Ruben is (for the record, so is Khao).

I've met a grip of artists, as you can imagine. I've spent time with the famous, the not-so-famous, the used-to-be famous, and the wanna-be famous. Ruben stood out. He was warm, kind, friendly, and smart as hell. He was giving Khao advice that was incredibly on point.

I have to admit that, as someone who pulls artists out of bad deals, I fantasize about breaking those bullshit Idol contracts that those slavemasters fight so hard to keep secret. Ruben informs me that his deal is done. This makes me happy for him, but too late to really help him. He's signed to Clive Davis, a man who either has a great ear for talent (voices especially), or a great ear for hearing people who know talent (this is what I believe I have).

What a great guy Ruben is. I had so much fun at Crucial last night. At one point, I had Ruben standing on one side of me, and Scorpio and Dynamite from The Furious 5 on my other side. How cool is that?! Two generations apart, both of whom have influenced and affected me.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 were my intro into rap music in 1980 or 1981. I saw them perform live in Philadelphia and fell in love with rap. That's what started it all for me (if not for them, there may not be a me). And then the Idol show at the other extreme. A way for kids to get jerked by folks who want to exploit their talent yet make the lion's share of the money. The reason I exist is to stop that. And it all came full circle last night as I was watching a bunch of rappers competing at TI's club in Bankhead-- Atlanta. Ruben on my left and and Scorpio on my right. WoW! What a night!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until I read this post I would have signed one of those "AI" contracts...Thank U!

4/26/07, 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home