Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day Fifteen: Team BLOODRAW Promo Tour
Charlotte, NC

We stayed in a bit of luxury last night at the Hyatt Place at the airport. Everyone had a bed and the rooms had 42” plasma screen TVs. Woo hoo! We changed hotels in the morning (back to cheap hotels since our CTE budget only allows for $200 a day in hotel rooms for the 8 of us).

JKnow Truth met up with us and brought us to the radio station to tape an interview that will run on Monday. The station has never done that before, so DJ Magic assumed we were super VIPs. Truth is, JKnow just doesn’t take “no” for an answer. We missed seeing our friend Deon Cole (music director) but Raw did an outstanding interview with DJ Magic.

From there we went to a hip hop gear store and bumped into a slew of industry people. I saw Crazy Eddie, whom I haven’t seen in years and a local label owner named Lo. What a nice guy!! From there we were starving and headed to the Eastland Mall (the ghetto mall). We met with the owner of the mixed CD shop, had a delicious soul food lunch, got air-brushed t-shirts and did a little sneaker shopping. WE ran into a bunch of ATL DJs who had come up for the day with Malachi to perform at Club Incognito. Why a label hasn’t picked him up is beyond me. This guys wins most of the open mic contests, has won Greg Street Showcase competitions, and yet, no deal. Go figure. Anyway, I adore Malachi…so it was great to see him.

From the Mall we went to Office Depot to buy sleeves for the mixed CDs that mysteriously showed up again at our hotel. If it weren’t for Raw’s hustle, we’d be out here with nothing to pass out. The guys stuffed CDs like machines…

At midnight, Raw went to Crush to do a show for the radio station. The promoter was so marketing savvy—he let in all women for free who carried Louis Vuitton bags (the name of the single is Louie). Clever….

Raw rocked it. Rocko was in the house performing last night, and Raw had a larger turn out and really did his thing.

I have to mention something that happened on our drive into Charlotte. We were down where I-26 meets I-85 (Greenville area) and we were listening to the radio. There was this RIDICULOUSLY talented DJ who was killing it on the mix show. This muthaphukka mixed Lil Jon with the TV theme to Star Trek. When we stopped at a rest stop, this DJ had me dancing outside the van to Poison Posse and DooDoo Brown. This DJ is king! I was so impressed with DJ Swann that I whipped out my phone and was ready to dial his number….but I couldn’t find it. Tony Neal didn’t have it. Chuck T didn’t have it. So I pulled out my laptop, connected through my Sprint card and logged onto the website of that station. I sent him an email through the Cox Radio website. THAT is how much he impressed me. I am on his dick!! DJ Swann. Remember that name…

While the guys went to the concert, I stayed behind in the room to assemble the receipts that I need to turn into Def jam to get the remainder of the tour money. And Ricky Ross just sent me an email to read to the guys when they come in from the show. I’m loving how he thinks…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home